BENTON COUNTY, Ark — Heavy rainfall across Northwest Arkansas Wednesday, May 4, and Thursday, May 5 is causing some roads to flood and close to traffic.
When out driving, officials want you to know that the roads are closed for a reason. They do not close roads ahead of time they are closed whenever there are at least six inches of rising water.
The county also closes bridges in low-lying areas near bodies of water. When a road is closed, and a barricade is in place they ask that you do not move the barrier and attempt to pass it.
If the water does not look high and a barrier is in place, they ask that you still do not pass the road because you do not know what’s underneath the water.
“We’re going to get some debris, some limbs, some underbrush that’s going to happen on the roads,” said Benton County Director of Communications Melody Kwok. “I saw just coming into work this morning from last night, and so that’s to be wary of.”
Benton County officials say it knows flooded roads are a continual issue they deal with and want people to know they are putting American Rescue Plan funding towards prevention efforts to stop the flooding in certain areas.
“The less water that’s on the road, the less damage that’s on the road, the less funds we have to go into to fix potholes, to resurface,” said Kwok, adding that Benton County will be working for the next few months.
The following roads are closed to traffic at this time.
- Aubrey Long Road - Closed between Springtown to S. Brigance Road
- Battlefield Road - Closed due to flooding
- Bettis Hill Road - Closed due to flooding
- Bredehoeft Road - Closed at the south end of the road
- Butler Road
- Canterbury Lane - Closed from the intersection of Daen Hill East to Country Club Lane
- Chambers Springs Road - Closed at the culvert crossing
- Cincinnati Creek Road - Closed from the intersection of Long Farm Road to Fisher Ford Road.
- Cross Hollow Road - Closed at the intersection of Stoney Point Road
- El Montano - Closed due to flooding
- Garman Road - Closed at the intersection of Fairmount Road
- Kincheloe Road - Closed due to flooding
- Lane Place Road - Closed due to flooding
- Old Prairie Creek Road - Closed until lake goes down
- Phillips Road - Closed at the bridge
- Pollock Road - Closed at Hwy. 12
- Sawmill Road
- Steward Road - Closed due to flooding
- Sugar Creek Road - Closed from the intersection of Wilson Road to Taylor Barnett Road
- Wagon Wheel Road
- Ballard Creek/ Mill - Still under water but we believe a portion of the bridge is gone
- Brush Creek - Water over Road
- Cincinnati Creek/ Rennic - Bridge Gone
- Donnie Jackson Pit and Hwy 59 - Road is gone in places and bridge Wing Walls are washed out
- Double Springs at Jess Anderson – Culvert crossing gone
- Hamstring - Water over Road
- Harmon Road - Water over Road
- Harvey Dowell - Water over Bridge
- Rennic/ Kings Road - Bridge Gone
- Viney Grove - North of Kinion Lake Rd- under water
- Wheeler - Culvert Crossing Gone