After facing the gauntlet of top 5 teams the last two weeks, Arkansas is back at home against Alcorn State Saturday at 7:00pm. The Hogs have been off since last Saturday's loss at Michigan and will receive an extra boost getting guard Fred Gulley eligible. Gully's grades are expected to finally clear after transferring from Oklahoma State last winter.
The team met with the media at practice Thursday:
Head Coach Mike Anderson:
- Fred Gulley should play this game and coach can tell he is excited and ready to come out and play
- Coach knows that the team will have to have a core group of players that play but having up to ten guys playing is a possibility. Injuries may require the bench players to step up.
- Alcorn State will have some good players on their team, Anderson knows they will be coached well and play hard. They have nothing to lose.
- Anderson needs Hunter and Powell to start playing a bigger role as the big men. Get rebounds and score. He sees them coming along and knows they are a key part to their success.
Forward Jacorey Williams:
- The stretch of non-conference has been tough but he believes they are more prepared than any other team and it will help them in the long run.
Guard Anthlon Bell:
- Fred Gulley brings leadership and defensive intensity to this team and should help them.
Guard Mardracus Wade:
- Fred is anxious and ready to get out there and play, everyone is excited what he can bring.
- They don’t feel like there will be any rust from this week break. Plenty of practice
- These next few non-conference games are big for the team to see where they stand and build confidence for SEC play.