Breaking News
More () »

Fort Smith/Fayetteville News | 5newsonline KFSM 5NEWS | Get the local news and weather where you live from 5NEWS. Covering Fort Smith, Fayetteville, Bentonville, and all of Northwest Arkansas and the River Valley.

You may be owed money on your 2017 taxes, but you have to move fast to collect

The median uncollected tax refund from 2017 is $865, but that money is about to be kept by the government if taxpayers don't act fast.

The IRS said Monday it is holding onto $1.3 billion in tax refunds for an estimated 1.3 million people who have not yet filed their 2017 tax returns, and there's only about a month left to collect.

"Time is quickly running out for these taxpayers. There's only a three-year window to claim these refunds, and the window closes on May 17," IRS Commissioner Chuck Rettig said in a statement. "We want to help people get these refunds, but they will need to quickly file a 2017 tax return."

For those who don't collect, their money becomes property of the U.S. Treasury.

RELATED: Third batch of stimulus checks include 'plus-up' payments

RELATED: IRS tax refunds to start in May for $10,200 jobless benefits break

The IRS said it calculates that half the refunds are for more than $865 each and the other half are for less than that. In addition, some of those who did not file a 2017 return could be eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit, which was worth up to $6,318 for that tax year. The EITC income thresholds for 2017 were as follows:

  • $48,340 ($53,930 if married filing jointly) for those with three or more qualifying children
  • $45,007 ($50,597 if married filing jointly) for people with two qualifying children
  • $39,617 ($45,207 if married filing jointly) for those with one qualifying child, and
  • $15,010 ($20,600 if married filing jointly) for people without qualifying children

1040s, 1040-As and 1040-EZs for 2017 can be found on IRS.gov.

Those who are missing W-2s or other income forms and who cannot get them from employers, banks or other payers can use the IRS Get Transcript Online tool.