FORT SMITH (KFSM) – The Fort Smith Police Department will take part in a nationwide campaign to crack down on drunk driving.
The police department announced in a release Tuesday morning (June 30) it is participating in the ‘Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over’ enforcement over the Fourth of July weekend, and “will be out in full force, aggressively targeting those who put lives in danger.”
FSPD Sergeant Greg Copeland listed several tips to prevent drunk driving:
- Plan a safe way home before the fun begins.
- Before drinking, designate a sober driver.
- If you’re impaired, use a taxi, call a sober friend or family member, or use public transportation.
- If you happen to see a drunk driver on the road, don’t hesitate to contact your local law enforcement agency.
- If you know someone who is about to drive or ride while impaired, take your friend’s keys and help your friend make other arrangements to get to where he or she is going safely.