ARKANSAS, USA — The application period for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) will begin on July 25.
This program is funded through the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and helps eligible residents receive financial assistance for summer utilities.
Eligibility is determined by household size and income. Officials say a single individual with a maximum monthly countable income of $1,859 and a family of four with $3,574 would both be eligible.
Arkansas LIHEAP offers two types of benefit payments:
- Regular: fixed benefit that considers the household income, the number of household members, and the type of energy source (e.g., electricity, gas, propane, wood, pellets).
- Crisis: benefit up to a maximum amount established by policy that will prevent disconnection, restore service or provide energy/fuel when supply is gone
In order to apply for LIHEAP, you must apply through the organization that operates within the county you live in.
For those who live in Benton, Carroll and Madison counties, contact Our Healthy Communities
Washington County: Economic Opportunity Agency of Washington County
Crawford, Sebastian counties: Crawford-Sebastian Community Development
To view a map of the state to find out where your community organization is, click here
Documents required to apply:
- A photo ID
- Social Security card (household members age 18 or older)
- Social Security numbers (household minors)
- Copies of your most recent utility bills
- Proof of income
- Proof of residency (current utility bills provide proof)
Officials say assistance will be available until Sept. 30 or funds are completely expended, whichever comes first.
The program will have another application period to assist with winter heating costs beginning in January.
LIHEAP is offered throughout community organizations throughout the state. For more information click here.
For tips to help manage your Entergy Arkansas bill, click here.
HOW TO ADD THE 5NEWS APP TO YOUR STREAMING DEVICE
ROKU: add the channel from the ROKU store or by searching for KFSM in the Channel Store.
For Fire TV, search for "KFSM" to find the free app to add to your account. Another option for Fire TV is to have the app delivered directly to your Fire TV through Amazon.
To report a typo or grammatical error, please email KFSMDigitalTeam@tegna.com.