FORT SMITH, Ark. — A woman was seriously hurt after a house fire in downtown Fort Smith Wednesday, Dec. 22, morning.
According to the Fort Smith Police Department, around 8 a.m., first responders were called to the 2100 block of N I Street regarding a house fire.
According to Fire Chief Tery Graves, first responders pulled an older woman out of the house and performed CPR on the scene. She was taken to a local hospital and listed as being in critical condition.
Graves says another person had minor burns and all five people in the home suffered from minor smoke inhalation.
The fire chief says there is minor damage to a neighboring structure.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation, but early signs show that an extension cord sparked the flames.
Fort Smith police will release more information as it becomes available.