SPRINGDALE, Ark. — Nationally recognized chef, Matt McClure joined the 5NEWS morning team this morning to share Thanksgiving meal tips and recipes.
Tyler Moore and Chef McClure - Turkey carving tips
Laura Simon and Chef McClure make deviled ham-eggs
Ruben Diaz and Chef McClure make pecan pie
Deviled ham-eggs recipe
For the deviled ham:
- 1 cup large diced smoked ham
- 1/2 cup melted lard
- 1 large shallot, bruinoised
- 1 lemons juiced
- 1/2t black peppercorns
- 1/2t pink peppercorns
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1/2t fennel seeds
- 1/2T ground yellow mustard
- Salt-to taste
- 1) Macerate shallots in lemon juice and add season with salt.
- 2) While shallots are macerating, toast whole spices and finely grind.
- 3) In a robot coupe, pulse ham until it looks shredded, but not pureed.
- 4) Pull ham from food processor and place in a mixer with a paddle attachment.
- 5) Place mixer on slow to medium speed.
- 6) Slowly add the lard to the ham while mixing the ham until a paste-like state is achieved. Then season with spices until tasty.
For the eggs:
- 6 each boiled eggs
- Juice from 1 Lemon juice
- 3 tsp Mayonnaise (Bring out the Best)
- Deviled ham
- To taste, Kosher salt
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1. Cut boiled eggs in half and remove the yolks.
- 2. Push yolks through a sieve to achieve a fluffy texture.
- 3. Mix spices, lemon juice and mayonnaise with the yolks.
- 4. Fold in equal parts deviled ham to the deviled yolk mixture.
- 5. Taste mixture, if you like it spicier add more cayenne pepper.
- 6. Pipe deviled mix back into the eggs and dust with sweet paprika
Pecan Pie Recipe
For the filling:
- 2 cups corn syrup
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 6 eggs yolks
- 7.75 grams AP flour
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla paste
- 1 tsp salt
- 4oz butter, cubed
In a large pot, combine corn syrup, brown sugar, heavy cream, and molasses and bring to a boil.
Meanwhile, whisk together yolks, AP, vanilla, and salt. Temper with sugar mixture and then whisk together.
Pour filling through a chinoise over a hotel pan with the butter. Whisk together until butter is melted. Chill until completely cool before transferring to a cambro.
- yield: 1.5 pies (7.5 portions)
- (1/2#) pecans
- (1#4oz) filling
- Process pecan in robot coupe until lightly chopped. Stir together with filling and then portion into par-baked pie shells.
- Bake at 250F, low fan, for 40-50 minutes. Rotate the pans after the first 20 minutes. When finished, pies will be almost completely set with only a slight jiggle in the center.
- Cool completely before removing from pans and slicing into 5 portions/pie.