AUSTIN, Texas — Editor's note: This blog is no longer being updated. Click here for Wednesday's blog.
KVUE is keeping you updated with the latest coronavirus and COVID-19 news in the Austin area.
Scroll down for the top headlines and latest updates in KVUE's Sept. 14 live blog.
- Texas: More than 3.2 million cases have been reported in the state, and more than 59,190 people in Texas have died, according to the Texas Department of State Health Services.
- Central Texas counties:
- Austin-Travis County: The seven-day moving average for new hospital admissions is 57, and an average of 524 people are hospitalized. The seven-day moving average for new cases is 498. Since the beginning of the pandemic, over 110,733 cases have been reported and at least 1,035 people have died.
- Hays County: There are currently 1,871 active cases, and 57 people are currently hospitalized (55 unvaccinated, 2 vaccinated). Since the beginning of the pandemic, at least 27,213 confirmed cases have been reported and at least 340 people have died. At least 25,002 people have recovered from the virus.
- Williamson County: There are 340 new cases of coronavirus in Williamson County. Thirteen percent of hospital beds are available, and 1% of ICU beds are available. Since the beginning of the pandemic, at least 57,981 cases have been reported and at least 583 people have died.
- Central Texas school districts:
- Austin ISD: As of Sept. 14, there are a total of 44 new COVID-19 cases (35 students, 8 employees, 1 other) and a total of 187 new exposures (185 students, 2 employees, 0 others). Since Aug. 16, there have been 748 cumulative positive cases (593 students, 147 employees, 8 other) and 4,406 cumulative exposures (4,331 students, 65 employees, 10 other).
- Round Rock ISD: As of Sept. 14, there are 73 new positive cases (60 students, 13 employees) and 467 new "close contacts" (436 students, 31 employees). There have been 1,079 total cumulative positive cases (945 students, 134 employees) and 10,383 total cumulative "close contacts" (9,514 students, 869 employees).
- Leander ISD: For the week of Sept. 11-17 there have been 79 total positive cases. There have been 1,182 total cumulative positive cases.
- Pflugerville ISD: For the week of Sept. 11-17, there have been 50 total positive cases. There have been 709 total cumulative positive cases.
- Hays CISD: There have been a total of 539 cumulative student cases and 105 cumulative staff cases.
- Texas Public Schools (2021-22 school year; updated on Fridays with data from the previous Monday-Sunday)
- Cumulative positive student cases: 73,749, up from 60,527 on Aug. 29
- Cumulative positive staff cases: 16,213, up from 14,377 on Aug. 29
For a look at COVID-19 data across all of the state's counties, click here. KVUE is tracking COVID-19 data from five school districts in Central Texas. Many school districts have their own COVID-19 dashboard.
GRAPHS: Coronavirus data Sept. 14, 2021
4:25 p.m. – Right now, there are 94 estimated active cases among UT faculty, students and staff. Today, UT's president announced changes to the COVID-19 strategy on the Forty Acres.
More classes are going to be in person, starting next week. The university is also expanding its testing efforts to include free walk-in clinics near campus. They're encouraging testing once per week for vaccinated students, and twice per week for unvaccinated students, or those who are at a higher risk.
Click here for more information.
4:15 p.m. – Here's a closer look at today's COVID-19 data:
- 17,373 new cases today; 7-day average up to 15,419/day over the past week; highest since Jan. 23
- Up 30.5% from a week ago
- Up 37% from a month ago
- 296 new deaths reported today
- 59,197 total to date
- 280 reported deaths/day over the past week
- 12,973 (-92) COVID-19 patients in Texas hospitals… still falling
- Down 4% from a week ago
- Up 12% from a month ago
- 8,987 regular adults (-146)
- 3,712 ICU adults (+58)
- 274 kids (-4)
- Cases average bounced back up to 1,211/day over the past week
- Up 38% from a week ago
- Up 36% from a month ago
- 615 COVID-19 patients in TSA O hospitals
- 346 regular adults
- 254 adult ICU
- 15 kids
- 254 (+8) COVID-19 patients in ICU in TSA O
- 9 beds available = 1.8% availability
- 6 adult, 3 pediatric
- 2,788 total deaths for the 12-county KVUE viewing area
9 a.m. – Austin-Travis County leaders are receiving a COVID-19 update from experts at Austin Public Health. The Austin area has continued to see higher hospitalization numbers and low staffed ICU bed availability. Watch below:
6 a.m. – Harmony Public Schools announced it will offer full virtual learning to eligible students in the Austin area starting on Monday, Oct. 4. To be eligible to participate and remain in virtual learning, students must meet all of the following criteria:
- Students must have passed the most recent STAAR exams (if applicable to grade level). If your student did not take STAAR, NWEA grade-level proficiency is required
- Students must have earned a “C” grade or higher in “foundation curriculum” courses taken virtually or remotely in the previous school year (ex. Math, reading)
- Students must have no more than 10% unexcused absences during the previous school year and maintain less than 10 unexcused absences in a six-month period
PEOPLE ARE ALSO READING: