SPRINGDALE, Ark. (KFSM) — Emergency crews are still working to put out a fire at a warehouse business in Springdale that began Friday (Dec. 27) afternoon.
A new post from the Springdale Fire Department Facebook corrected information about the amount of firefighters injured. Initial reports said that three firefighters were sent to the hospital, but ultimately one firefighter was treated and released from the hospital.
"Sometime around 5pm, there was material inside the structure that fell injuring one of our firefighters," the post stated.
Smoke and flames can be seen throughout Springdale due to the fire.
According to Springdale Fire Captain Matt Bagley, the fire is at 659 Randall Wobbe Lane in Springdale. The address comes back to A-Advantage Warehouse, Distribution & Transportation.
Bagley says one firefighter called "mayday" while trying to put out the flames on Friday after debris fell on him. He then had to be dragged out by other firefighters and was taken to the hospital. His injuries are non-life threatening.
Bagley wasn't sure how the fire started, but the black smoke from the building came from Styrofoam boards burning. He says there are mattresses and other items inside the building that are keeping small pockets of flames alive.
The fire halted three trains headed southbound on the tracks near the warehouse.
The Rogers Fire Department is filling in at the Springdale Fire Department, Station 3 while they handle the large fire.
According to a Facebook post made by the Springdale Fire Department, crews could remain on scene for days.
A front with strong winds that moved in early Saturday morning has pushed the black smoke to the north and west of the fire, causing concern for some nearby residents. The fire department is monitoring the smoke around the scene and in a nearby apartment complex for several toxins that are common with this type of fire.
There are currently no hazardous levels of the toxins, but the department is still encouraging residents to either stay inside, or leave to play at a park, shop, or other activities. According to the fire department, residents are safe from the smoke in their home, but should NOT spend time sitting or playing outside.
5NEWS will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.